Refunds for Flight Reservations
Make changes on the fly, without worrying about a fee.
- No cancel fees.1
- No change fees.2
- No need to wait on us—change or cancel your flight quickly and easily on Southwest.com or through the Southwest® app.3
- If you cancel a flight with a non-refundable fare, you'll receive flight credit (think of it like store credit!). You can track your flight credit by logging into your Rapid Rewards® account4 and/or search for flight credit here or via the Southwest app.
- When you're ready to use them, you can apply flight credit toward a new flight on Southwest.com or through our app using the original confirmation number from your modified or canceled flight(s). Click here to see how to use flight credit.
- Visit our Refunds Help Center to learn more about our cancellation and refund policy.
When canceling a flight, what's the difference between reusable and refundable?
|Fare||Reusable (applied as flight credit toward a future trip)||Refundable|
|Wanna Get Away®||Yes||No|
|Wanna Get Away Plus™||Yes||No|
Reusable vs. refundable
- Reusable – Funds from Wanna Get Away, Wanna Get Away Plus, Anytime, and Business Select fares can be used for future travel up to one year from the original purchase date by the original ticketed Passenger only. Travel booked using flight credit must be completed by the expiration date. Funds are reusable as long as they were canceled in accordance with our No-Show Policy, which states that a flight must be canceled more than 10 minutes before its scheduled departure time.
- Refundable – Our Anytime and Business Select fares are refundable. As long as you cancel your flight more than 10 minutes before its scheduled departure time, you will have the option to receive a refund to your original form of payment or flight credit for future use.
- For non-refundable reservations canceled within 24 hours of booking – If you cancel online at Southwest.com, through the app, or call us within 24 hours of booking, you can receive a refund of any fare (including Wanna Get Away and Wanna Get Away Plus) back to the original form of payment or choose to convert the airfare into flight credit (credit to be used toward future travel), assuming it was also canceled within 24 hours of booking and in accordance with the No-Show Policy. If you purchased all or part of the reservation using a Southwest gift card or a Southwest LUV Voucher and canceled the reservation within 24 hours of booking, contact our Customer Service department at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).
- No-Show Policy - If you don’t cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes before the flight’s original scheduled departure time, the value of Business Select or Anytime tickets will be refunded in the form of a flight credit. Unfortunately, any Wanna Get Away or Wanna Get Away Plus funds will be forfeited.
- All remaining unused Business Select and Anytime funds will be converted to reusable flight credit for the originally ticketed Passenger only. If you no show for a reward travel reservation, the points will be deposited back into the purchaser’s Rapid Rewards account. Any taxes and fees associated with your reward travel reservation will be held for future use in the form of reusable flight credit under the name of the traveler(s).
Fares booked with points
When you cancel a fare booked with points, the remaining point balance will be refunded to the account from which they were booked. Any taxes and fees will be eligible for a refund.
Fares booked via our Group Travel Desk
Please refer to your Group Travel Contract for details about your fare's refundability or reusability.
EarlyBird Check-In® Refundability
All EarlyBird Check-In purchases are nonrefundable. Customers who cancel their flight will forfeit the funds they used to purchase EarlyBird Check-In.
In the event that we cancel a flight, Southwest will refund the cost of any EarlyBird Check-Ins purchased.
Making changes to an existing reservation
We never charge you a fee to change (or cancel) your flight, but a fare difference may apply if you choose to change to a flight with a higher fare.
- Cancel your reservation in accordance with our No-Show Policy (i.e., at least 10 minutes prior to departure).
- Complete your travel within one year of the original date you purchased your ticket.
Viewing your flight credit
- Go to Southwest.com/travelfunds or use the Southwest app to see if you have flight credit. You'll need the confirmation number from your original reservation and your name. Note that only the original ticketed Passengers can receive flight credit, and they can't be transferred to anyone else.
- If you included your Rapid Rewards number when you booked the original reservation, you can also login and view your flight credit through your Rapid Rewards account.
How to cancel your flight and check if you're eligible for a refund
If you can still see your itinerary on Southwest.com or in the Southwest app
- Go to Southwest.com/cancel or open the Southwest app and select "Look Up Reservation" in the menu. Or, if you booked your trip using your Rapid Rewards account and are logged in, you can look it up in your account.
- Enter in your confirmation number and the Passenger's name on the reservation.
- You'll see any available flight credit or refundable balances attached to the confirmation number you entered. If you have a refundable value remaining, you can choose to receive a refund to the original form of payment or convert the fare into flight credit.
- Tap or click "Cancel Flight" to cancel the flight for all Passengers.
- Refunds to credit cards may take up to two billing cycles to appear on your statement.
- Flight credit is available for use immediately. If you used your Rapid Rewards number when booking, your flight credit will be automatically added to your Southwest account.
If your reservation is no longer active or you canceled a refundable fare that was converted into flight credit and you would like a refund instead:
- Call us at 1-800-435-9792
- Write our Refunds Department:
P.O. Box 36649
Dallas, Texas 75235-1649
For all other refund requests, including refund exceptions for nonrefundable travel:
You can write our Refunds Department:
P.O. Box 36649
Dallas, Texas 75235-1649
Special notes about writing or calling us
All refund requests submitted in writing to the Refunds Department must include your unused ticket information or proof of purchase and/or the confirmation number.
Customers calling Southwest to request a refund or to research flight credit for a specific ticket must provide their confirmation number, ticket number, or flight information (date, origin, and destination).
Additional information about refunds
- Not all fares are refundable. Business Select and Anytime fares are refundable while Wanna Get Away and Wanna Get Away Plus fares are reusable but not refundable.
- Unused, refundable tickets that do not carry restrictions may be applied toward future travel or refunded within one year from the date of issue.
- All eligible refunds are provided according to your original form of payment.
- Our Refunds Department will process an eligible refund to the original credit/debit card within seven business days from the date we receive your request. Your card-issuing bank may then take up to ten business days to post the credit to your account. Based on your individual billing cycle, you will see the refund on your statement within one to two statement mailings.
How to use flight credit
On Southwest.com or the Southwest app, you can simply apply your flight credit on the purchase page much like you would store credit in a retail store. Make note of the flight credit expiration date: all travel must be completed by the expiration date or the funds will be forfeited.
Looking up flight credit
You'll see any flight credit in your Rapid Rewards account if you entered your Rapid Rewards number when you booked the original travel. Tap or click here to login into your account to find your flight credit balance.
You can check for flight credit at southwest.com/travelfunds.
1 Failure to cancel a reservation at least 10 minutes prior to departure may result in forfeited flight credit.
2 Fare difference may apply. If traveling on a reservation made via our Group Travel Desk please refer to your Group Travel Contract.
3 Changes to the number of Passengers on a reservation must be made by calling us at 1-800-435-9792. Cancellations which will result in only one portion of the trip being removed must be made by calling us at 1-800-435-9792 or using the chat feature in the Southwest App when logged in. Changes to bookings made via our Group Travel Desk cannot be made online. Please contact our Group Travel Desk.
4 Starting December 3, 2019, if you include your Rapid Rewards number in your flight reservation, you will be able to view available flight credit from unused tickets, tickets canceled in accordance with the No Show Policy, or tickets which have a residual balance. All travel involving funds from any confirmation number must be completed by the expiration date. To locate available flight credit generated prior to December 3, 2019 or get additional details on available flight credit listed here use the Flight Credit Lookup.